Attendees - Darmstadt - Ernst-Ludwig-House

The Ernst-Ludwig-Haus was built in 1900-1901 and served as the atelier building for the first Art Nouveau exhibition in Darmstadt. It was build by Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867-1908), who was probably one of the foremost members of the artisans colony. The building is behind and to the right of the Russian Chapel (coming from the city center). Today, the building houses the Museum of the Artisans Colony Darmstadt, which has a constant - and interesting - exhibition on the development of the colony and the works created by its members (open Tuesday to Sunday 10 AM to 5 PM, entrance fee roughly € 3).

Ernst-Ludwig-Hourse. Please click on the image for the full 3072x2048 image.

Picture © Ulrich Mathias (details see imprint)

It is worthwhile to step around the outside of the building to see the two statues of Adam and Eve shown in the photo above, framing the South entrance of the building and marking the central (but no longer used) entrance to the original entrance hall. Between the two Adam and Eve statues framing the "Omega"-shaped entrance is the following motto: Seine Welt zeige der Künstler, die niemals war, noch jemals sein wird (The artisan should show his (view of the) world, as it never was nor ever will be).

Close to the Ernst-Ludwig-House is a small octagonal building that houses the museum shop - well worth browsing through for the smaller or larger gifts and mementos for those interested in the arts!

© Dr. Guido Roessling 2018